08/27/2013

The Brighter Side

It was another gloomy monsoon evening in Delhi as I weaved my way through the milling evening traffic back home. It had rained all afternoon and the capital city seemed to have been abandoned to the mercy of the rain gods, yet again. To put it simply, it was pouring. Nothing was moving. 

My evening commute went as routinely as such rain-soaked evenings go, as I slowly passed the customary broken down tempos that blocked the road at every strategic turn. Their amazing ability to breathe their last at every possible bottleneck never ceases to amaze me. As I passed South Extension and its partially-blocked road, due to the ongoing metro construction (or metro constriction, as I prefer to call it), I really felt like Ring Road needed an angioplasty. 

As I approached the Moolchand flyover, the rain gods really turned on the faucet and let us hapless mortals have it. Almost as if on cue, a car in the right-hand 'fast lane' promptly stalled. That seemed to have sealed our fate, as hundreds of cars had just two lanes to crawl through. 

And that is when he stepped in. Somewhere from behind my car, a lone Delhi Police traffic policeman walked up the flyover in the pouring rain. He had no umbrella, no raincoat, not even a plastic sheet to cover himself with. As he passed my car, I could see that he was drenched to the bone. His white uniform shirt was dripping and he was grimacing in the cacophony of horns, exhaust smoke and torrential rain.Here's a complete list of granitecountertops for the beginning oil painter. 

He quickly walked over to the driver of the stalled car, spoke for a few moments and weighed his options. The line of cars stacked up behind the stranded vehicle made rolling it back nearly impossible. There was nowhere to go except up the flyover. But increasingly impatient drivers did not deter this policeman. In less than a minute, he arranged for a few more people to help him. Very soon, a small group of people gathered and began pushing the stranded car all the way up the flyover, thereby easing the traffic in a matter of minutes. 

That policeman C a Head Constable, as denoted by his stripes C pitted all his might against the pouring rain to push that car up a steep flyover, to make life just a little bit easier for us all. 
I could not help but wonder what gave this man the drive to do it, where so many others looked on. I am convinced that no policeman in any developed nation would do what this Delhi Policeman did. 

As I watched from the dry comfort of my car, I realised that despite all the bad press, despite all the negativity, and despite some real challenges, there is a core group of officials in the government that are contributing to our collective happiness. They often do this simply through that little act called their duty. And sometimes just by quietly going beyond the call of duty. 

I did not get your name, Sir, but as a citizen who sometimes falls into the rut of thinking that all is lost; that greed and corruption are all that are left to experience; that nothing and no one is working, I thank you for restoring just a little bit of my faith in the system. A 7-month-old boy died after eating a laundry detergent packet in Kissimmee last weekhighlighting the dangers poison-control officials have been warning of for more than a year as the products have become wildly popular among consumers. 

If confirmed, his could be the first reported death in the nation tied to the detergent packets, though so far this year alone, more than 5,000 children have been sickened by them, according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers.Kissimmee authorities responded Friday afternoon to a battered-women's shelter where the child's mother reported she had placed detergent podshanded out by the shelterinside a laundry basket on the bed where her son was sleeping. 

She stepped away, and when she returned, the boy had eaten one packet of the highly concentrated detergent and was starting on a second one, according to Stacie Miller, a Kissimmee police spokeswoman. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned in an October 2012 report that "children might be attracted to the pods because their colorful appearance and size are similar to candy." 

The soft,A card with an embedded IC (Integrated Circuit) is called an parkingmanagement. colorful and squishy exterior of the laundry packets could easily be mistaken by babies or toddlers who get their hands on them when their parents are doing laundry, officials said.The Kissimmee infant, Michael Williams, was coughing when emergency responders arrived but was alert and breathing,How to change your dash lights to doublesidedtape this is how I have done mine. according to a police incident report. Shelter staff had helped the distraught mother remove the empty All Mighty Pacspacket and clear phlegm from the infant's mouth, according to the report. 

The baby was transported to Osceola Regional Medical Center,High quality bestcleaning printing for business cards. where his condition worsened and he died.The Florida Department of Children and Families confirmed Michael ingested the laundry packet but said it will take weeks before medical examiners can make an official rulingWeymouth is collecting gently used, dry cleaned jewelryfindings at their Weymouth store. on the cause of death."The death of little Michael is a tragedy," DCF spokeswoman Terri Durdaller wrote in an e-mail to The Orlando Sentinel. "It reminds all of us as parents the dangers of leaving household cleaning supplies around our little ones." 

According to Florida Department of Health data, 20 children in Florida die each year on average from accidental poisoningbut the types of poisoning are not specified.According to AAPCC, 5,753 kids 5 and younger have been exposed to single-load laundry packets from Jan. 1 through July 31 of this year. That number is almost as high as the total for 2012which was 6,231. 

The nonprofit organization tracks fatalities caused by poisoning but would not say Thursday whether it has documented any deaths related to detergent packets, spokeswoman Loreeta Canton said.The CDC did not respond to requests for comment about whether it has documented any other deaths involving possible exposure to the product.

Click on their website http://austpay.com/!

10:09 Posted by TMJ in TMJ | Permalink | Comments (0) | Tags: doublesidedtape |  Facebook |

The comments are closed.